Friday, April 18, 2008

Legacy

I remember a sunny summer afternoon playing in Grandma Walters back yard while she, mom, and grams all shaved the kernels off corn cobs. I wanted to badly to help. So Grandma gave me a corn cob and a knife and I butchered the poor thing but I helped. That is my first memory of canning. I can also remember sitting on the back steps of our house in Riverside shelling peas from our garden for mom to can. That garden was HUGE and in retrospect I am in awe at the bottles and bottles of food we had stored down in our basement and the work that went into that labor of love. So now I am carrying on that legacy and canning too.

This week I did 21 quarts of chicken breast (that's about 50 pounds... good thing it was on sale LOL). I also did 24 pints of strawberry jam and 14 quarts of Idaho spuds. This is all added to the bottles of carrots, peaches, and pears from last year.



What you see here is three rows of chicken, two rows of potatoes, and two rows of strawberry jam.

I am loving it! As prices rise at the grocery store it is such a comfort to know I can watch for the sales and stock up when the price is good. Thanks Grandma, Grams, and mom for teaching me this valuable skill and for giving me a legacy I can be proud of.

~Nikki

5 comments:

The Ortega Family said...

Nik, I want to learn how to can!!!!!!!! I have always wanted to do it, and when I see the jars at the stores it makes me want to do it even more, but I dont know how! Teach me please!!!! The jams and jellies and chicken sound great! Please help oh loving cousin of mine!

Webb Family said...

How wonderful!! That is a ton of work! You are a wonderful daughter to pay tribute to the other generations. I am thankful you have those precious memories, and are teaching them to another generation. Oh, how I love you! Mom

Nikki Huntsman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikki Huntsman said...

I can teach anyone to can. So far I have taught 8 ladies in our ward and it has been a blast. Now they are comfortable canning on their own and are loving it. :-)
Here are the things you'll want to buy to get started:
1. A pressure Canner. I like this one: http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/prestopressurecanner.htm
2. Jars (I only buy wide mouth if I can... it's easier to get the food out and clean them to use again I think).
3. A canning kit like this http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-GCK-5-5-Piece-Canning/dp/B00004RDF4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1208616824&sr=1-3
4. Pick your food. :-)
Once you are that far email me and we can set up a time for me to come spend the weekend with you.
We will can and have a BLAST!! :)
I can't wait.
PS... with Mother's Day coming up now you know what to ask for LOL
By the way... your walmart should carry all of this stuff too but sometimes you can find it cheaper online. :-)
Love, ~Nik

Webb Family said...

Wow!

Good for you! And your family!

Jeff and I went to the dry pack canning last week and did a lot of canning there! That was actually fun and it will be well used in the future!

Canning at home! I'll have to take lessons! Good Job!

Lois